Thursday, July 8, 2010

Arbit Experiences/Surprises in UK

The first surprise to me in UK was too many Indian faces. Just after coming out of the aircraft, while standing in a long que for immigration I was surprised to see most of the airport staff there Indians. Only after coming out of the airport, I felt like coming to a foreign nation. The city of London was very much similar to south Bombay, same double decker, same architecture of buildings, similar work culture and all. I felt as if the city is very close to me.
Me and my friend had no idea how to go to University of Southampton (Winchester Campus) from the hotel. We called a taxi and surprisingly the driver was an Indian. Although we were talking in English only, the driver suddenly turned on the FM radio where everything was in Hindi. I asked him what's going on, he said Southampton has a Hindi FM radio station also. We just said :"Wow, cool". The driver also gave us discount of 3.5 pounds..many many thanks to him for saving almost 300 rupees.
On the last day of our workshop at Winchester, I was waiting at the bus stop to catch the national express coach to Bournemouth. As there was enough time before the bus reaches there, I went to Subway there to have some food. Once again I found Indians there, not very surprised this time as I got used to it by then. But I really got surprised when the guy there told me that he is from Manipur. Once again I got discount of 1.5 pound may be for being an Indian or may be for being a person from his neighboring state Assam.
On the last day of my stay at UK, I was coming by a taxi from my friend's home in Bournemouth to the coach station. The driver, a British this time asked me where I am from. When I told him I am from Bombay, then he asked me if this is the same place where there was a terrorist attack two years back which killed around 200 people. I said yes, it's the same city. He was asking me if these things are all happening because of Kashmir and all, why India don't give freedom to Kashmir. I did not say anything, as these problems don't have any such straightforward solutions as people in Britain might think of.
These are some of my arbit experiences during my six day stay in UK which surprised me to some extent.

No comments: