Saturday, February 13, 2010

Incredible Gujarat

Gujarat represents a completely different picture of India. You stay here for few days, you will see the differences from other parts of India. From power cut to water supply, law and order to infra-structure, from education to agriculture, Gujarat has a different story to tell about than the remaining states in India. If we count all these bright sides of Gujarat, the chaotic traffic situation here(as I mentioned in one of my earlier posts) can be neglected without any real difficulty. A person living in Gujarat won't believe that almost half of the Indian population are below poverty line( Magsaysay Award winner P Sainath has claimed more that 70% of the population under poverty line, although Government report says only 30%). Today I went out of my hostel just to buy a toothpaste. I walked for around 2 kilometers but did not find any general store although there were many other shops. Finally I had to go to the shopping mall known as Vishal mega mart just to buy a toothpaste. Then I realised somebody said it correctly that the mall/supermarket culture was brought to India by Gujarat first. This is just a small difference which I noticed today, may be many more such surprises for me are on their way ;-)

No comments: