Saturday, August 14, 2010

Another Independence Day, 15th Aug'2010

So here comes another Independence day for us. Sitting inside my room also I can see the "virtual" celebrations through forwarded mails, social networking sites like facebook and all. Someone has put a tri-color in the profile pic or someone has uploaded a video which shows India's economy growth rate, number of Indians in NASA, India as largest democracy, India has x number of supercomputers, India has y number of CEO's in MNC's and so on. I get so much pissed off with such videos. I do not understand what these videos are meant for, and why these videos come at the time of Independence day or Republic day. I do not think people will forget the importance of the day if such unnecessary videos are not made. I am an Indian and I love my country and I do not need any reason to love my country. Even if my country has none of the "plus points" which these videos show, I will continue to love and respect my country. The worst thing about this videos are that they do not show everything. They show less than one percent of India just to win people's hearts and to gain popularity. They don't show the situations of millions of people under poverty line, common people who get killed by extremists, naxalites or security forces in various parts of the country. They don't show the civilian human rights violations in many parts of the so called "largest democracy". They don't show how much pride/shame India has earned hosting the Commonwealth Games which has been severely hit by large scale corruptions delaying all the preparations. There are many more things to be shown to the people about this country. If someone makes video showing India as a whole, he or she should include all such things. But they always put 10 bright things in the video and neglect thousands of dark sides of the country. India will change only when there will be enough awareness among the common people. The media, social networking sites should be used to increase the awareness, not to flatter the public to gain some cheap popularity. Happy Independence day to all, Jai Hind!

No comments: