Thursday, February 25, 2010

Conphused 2!

I could make some improvement in the unification plots than before. I am using the U(1) normalization to be $ \surd{3/8} $ in my calculations. For a specific choice of intermediate symmetry breaking scale I see the SU(3) and the SU(2) line meeting near $ 10^{12} $ GeV, which is not enough to prevent proton decay however. But I guess this tension can be eased if we add some new color degrees of freedom and make the two lines meet at a higher scale. But one serious problem is coming from the $ U(1)_{B-L} $ line which is hitting the Landau pole much before the expected unification scale. One way to get rid of this is may be to shift the intermediate symmetry breaking scales or may be to add some new $ U(1)_{B-L} $ charged particles. But adding new such particles might make the $ U(1)_{B-L} $ line meet the Landau pole even before the present case. May be I need to play around with these two possibilities and see how things get changed.

No comments: