Friday, November 27, 2009

Never imagined Porcupine Tree to be like this..

Its been just one month I have started downloading some songs by Porcupine Tree. Not that I did not know about this band before, but I thought this is a new band and will be singing some metal of which I am not a very big fan. I just wanted to have a flavor of their music before deciding whether to attend their live show on 21st December or not. To my surprise, I found them to be a much better band contrary to what I guessed and they are not a new band at all. I found their albums starting from 1989. Their music reminds me of Pink Floyd, so relaxing, very soothing. I am not much familiar with the classifications of rock music, but Porcupine Tree belongs to Progressive rock band category I guess. After getting a little flavor of their music through the albums Stars Die, Absentia and The Sky Moves Sideways I can now imagine why this band is not very popular in India except in North-East India probably where the sense of music is drastically different. The common Indian music lovers are mostly towards metal nowadays, wearing funky t-shirts, showing middle finger, using slang very often is what define their choice of music. I realized this when I went for the Iron Maiden concert in Bombay (Feb,2008). If the same crowd comes to Porcupine Tree concert for example, I don't think they gonna enjoy it. But being a great Pink Floyd fan, I am really looking forward to this similar rock band, may not be for lots of head-banging but to feel the beauty of classic rock for the first time in a live concert.

No comments: