Saturday, September 5, 2009

APS (Annual Progress Seminar) Over on 2nd Sept...What a Relief!!

Finally its over, the annual progress seminar of my first year of PhD. I was of the opinion that like our seniors it would be in January next year. But the department has changed it and decided to have our APS in autumn semester only. The funny thing was we were informed less than one week before that we would have to give APS. Thank god, I already had made some write-up of my work and hence it did not take more than two days to make my report as well as presentation slides. The seminar also went well. The funny thing about it was that my PhD advisor was not present there...:P... So basically I had to defend myself all the time. I got confused when one examiner asked me the question how the soft SUSY breaking lagrangian differs from the other parts of the Lagrangian. I said it contains the mass terms of gauginos as well the superpartners of quarks and leptons. Then the examiner said the main difference is that this lagrangian is not invariant under SUSY transformations and each term in that lagrangian contains 2 fields multiplied by a dimensionfull parameter. I think I knew this before but somehow could not say it when I was asked. Anyway overall it was good which is a great relief for me.

No comments: