Saturday, May 16, 2009

Never thought about it...:(:-o

Two days back my advisor pointed out some mistakes in the draft I prepared on some supersymmetric model of particle physics. It was related to extra scalar fields needed to break some gauge symmetries in the model. I realised that I included too many Higgs fields which was not needed in fact. Although in non-supersymmetric case we have to include these extra Higgs fields, in the susy case that purpose can be achieved by giving vacuum expectation values(vev) to some neutral sfermion field also like the sneutrino. After I searched paper related to sneutrino vev, it became clear that we can break gauge symmetry with sneutrino vev. In left-right model a right handed sneutrino field vev can break the SU(2)_R symmetry thereby giving masses to right handed gauge bosons whereas the fermions masses arise by the left handed Higgs fields vev only. But I don't think we can construct a supersymmetric standard model (no right handed gauge symmetry) without any Higgs fields because although we can break gauge symmetry we wont be able to give masses to the standard model leptons and quarks.
It feels nice after correcting oneself. After searching the literature I could find many models based on this idea. Actually whether sneutrinos get vev or not comes out automatically from the minimization of the scalar potential constructed from the superpotential. It went unnoticed in my case because I did not minimize the potential with respect to all the fields. I just did the calculations based on the usual Higgs scalar fields. One more interesting thing I noticed is that if sneutrino gets vev then the neutrinos will couple to the neutralinos(neutral gauginos, Higgsinos) and hence appear in the neutralino mass matrix. So particle mixes with sparticles in this case. Will it gives rise to some kind of R-parity violation?? Because to prevent proton decay via sfermion exchange diagrams in susy theories we impose a discrete R-parity under which standard model particles have R=+1 whereas superparticles have R=-1. Thus if we have an eigenstate of the neutralino mass matrix which is a linear combination of sparticles and particles I think that may result in R-parity violation. Thus sneutrino vev may be constrained from the unobserved proton decay. Hope I will be able to raise these issues next time I meet my advisor..:):).

No comments: