Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A serious misunderstanding..........:(

I had a serious misunderstanding in my knowledge of CP violation in the standard model sector as you might have noticed from my previous posts. What I was thinking is before electroweak symmetry breaking(EWSB) takes place there is no CP violations in the standard model sector. I thought since the standard model particles do not acquire any mass before EWSB hence there is no difference between mass eigenstates and flavour eigenstates. Hence there is no mixings in quark as well as leptonic sector.
I was attending a talk by Rajasekaran from IMSc, Chennai in the NuGoa'09 Conference (http://www.icts.res.in/program/AspectsOfNeutrinos) where he talked about the unification of quark mixing and neutrino mixings at high energy. I raised the doubt what is the meaning of mixings at very high energy say at the GUT scale. Then Prof Uma Sankar and Prof C S Aulakh pointed out that the mixing means mixing between Yukawa's , not between masses. So it does not matter whether EWSB takes place or not, the mixing is always there. Thanks to NuGoa conference, I could clear this major doubt among many others which I will write shortly.

No comments: