Saturday, September 12, 2009

Oops!!...my model violates R-parity

Yesterday I got a very important remark on the paper I am writing from my supervisor. He mentioned that some of the terms in the lagrangian violates R-parity. By the way R-parity is a discrete symmetry defined as $ R_p = (-1)^{2s+3(B-L)}$ where s is the spin, B and L are baryon and lepton number of the particle respectively. Although in the model there is an overall B-L gauge symmetry, there arises R-parity violation in some mass terms. These mass terms however are not coming from the soft SUSY breaking lagrangian, but from the superpotential itself. The mass lagrangian actually mixes two different fermions with odd and even R-parities. However there is no vertex (as far as I know) in the model which leads to R-parity violation and hence I don't think these R-parity violating mass terms would lead to any dangerous proton decay type of consequences. I am still waiting for supervisor's comments on this. I hope it will be enough to mention this in the paper without exploring further details. Just keeping my fingers crossed...:)

No comments: