Saturday, August 15, 2009

Another Independence Day...

Today its the 63 rd Independence day of my country. India became a free nation from the British colonialism on this day in 1947. It's been such a long time till today, but I am yet confused about the meaning of independence. It hardly makes any difference to me. I have grown up in this country with a perception that 15th August is a holiday. Not just an ordinary holiday, but a special one when it's not only that people don't go to office and schools but all the shops, markets as well as vehicles on roads come to standstill. That may sound too weired to my fellow Indians, but that's what the scene I have witnessed in North-East India. Most of the extremist groups there who are fighting ( or spreading terrorism ?) for the so called sovereignty call for boycotting events like Independence day, Republic day etc. They don't even bother to blow a group of kids celebrating Independence day in their school. I still remember I used to play cricket with my friends on the national highway. You can just imagine how deserted the public life there is on this day. It's been more than 6-7 years of my stay outside Assam as well as North-East, I don't know what people's perspectives are nowadays about Independence day. May be people nowadays dare to come out of their homes to celebrate I-day. But for me the reminiscence of I-day during my childhood days still make this very special day for Indians just a holiday. Anyway I wish the people of our beloved country India, the largest democracy in the world a very happy Independence Day. Jai Hind.

No comments: